Okay, so the movie about Johnny Cash‘s life won’t be premiering in Nashville or even Franklin (which is kind of a shame since it’s about one of Nashville’s legendary artists), but I still can’t wait to see this movie!
The movie “Walk The Line” opens November 18th.
Here’s an excellent interview with Nashville’s own Reese Witherspoon about the movie, including some interesting behind-the-scenes looks at the making of the movie.
More About This & Other Movie Filming Locations
The movie Walk The Line was actually shot in Memphis, despite the fact that it was originally slated to be filmed in Louisiana.
“The River City was chosen as the shooting location over Nashville and Louisiana, despite the fact that Louisiana provides incentives that would have saved the production close to $2 million.” Source
Supposedly, Reese Witherspoon herself had a bit to do with that… she even spoke with Governor Phil Bredesen and encouraged him to make Tennessee more financially attractive to the movie’s producers.
Did You Know?…
- Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix trained for 5-1/2 months and learned to play instruments and are recording an album! They worked for 16 or 17 hours every day for 5 months on it.
- Joaquin Phoenix actually refused to wear leather boots for the movie. A PETA activist, he would only wear plastic cowboy boots. He went to great lengths to make sure that his entire wardrobe was animal-friendly.
- The late Johnny Cash will reach Broadway in February ’06 with the opening of Ring of Fire, a musical featuring the classic songs of the legend known as “The Man in Black.”
- Johnny Cash’s Greatest Hits Collection will be released in conjunction with the premiere of the movie Walk The Line. (Here’s another music compillation featuring Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash’s music.
Current News About Johnny Cash
Johnny Cash’s Hendersonville home is currently for sale.
Check out these photos of the Cash home.
Johnny Cash’s first wife, Vivian Distin, wants the San Antonio River Walk bench that she and Cash carved their names on in 1951. She is the one that Cash pledged to remain faithful to in his song “I Walk the Line.” (Vivian is the mother of Cash’s four daughters, including singer Rosanne Cash, and she’s working on a book about her life with Cash.)
Johnny Cash Audio & Video Clips
- Video: Johnny Cash singing “City of New Orleans”
- Video: Rosanne Cash talks about the controversy: Johnny Cash vs Music Row
- Audio: NPR’s Alice Winkler has the story of Johnny Cash’s first big hit.
- Video: Johnny Cash singing “Hurt”
- Video: Kris Kristofferson gives a behind the scenes look at the man in black
- Audio: 1997 interview with Johnny Cash
- Video: Johnny Cash singing “San Quentin” in San Quentin prison
Nashville’s own Lari White takes Johnny’s Cash’s songs to Broadway in “Ring of Fire: A Musical Review”.
I like to help people find unique ways to do things in order to save time & money — so I write about “outside the box” ideas that most wouldn’t think of. As a lifelong dog owner, I often share my best tips for living with and training dogs. I worked in Higher Ed over 10 years before switching gears to pursue activities that I’m truly passionate about. I’ve worked at a vet, in a photo lab, and at a zoo — to name a few. I enjoy the outdoors via bicycle, motorcycle, Jeep, or RV. You can always find me at the corner of Good News & Fun Times as publisher of The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites).